Log In | Contact Us| View Cart (0)
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Centenary College of Louisiana President | Centenary College of Louisiana | Archives and Special Collections

Name: Centenary College of Louisiana President


Historical Note:

The president of Centenary College of Louisiana is elected by and reports to the college’s board of trustees. As noted in the college’s bylaws (revised April 21, 2016), “The president is the chief executive officer of the institution. The president shall be appointed by the board and shall serve at the pleasure of the board. […] The president shall be responsible for the supervision and management of the institution, for the duties mandated by the charter and these bylaws, and for interpreting and implementing the policies of the institution and of the board.”

In 1826, Centenary’s predecessor institution, the College of Louisiana (Jackson, Louisiana), passed the following: “Resolved, that the president be instructed to take charge of the institution, that he have full control over all the officers and students of the same, that he prescribe the course of study, advance the students and form the classes according to his discretion, and that he exercise the power herein granted until the next semi-annual meeting of this board” (College of Louisiana Board of Trustees meeting minutes, December 16, 1826). The trustees also authorized, “The president shall take charge of the collegiate classes and give his first attention thereto after hearing those classes he shall attend to such classes belonging to the preparatory department as he shall select” (College of Louisiana Board of Trustees meeting minutes, August 9, 1827). The president was also responsible for submitting an annual report to the board of trustees. Presidents of the College of Louisiana were: Jeremiah Chamberlain (1826-1829), Isaac A. Smith (pro tem 1829), Henry H. Gird (1829-1834), James Shannon (1835-1840), and William B. Lacey (1841-1845).

In 1843, Centenary College (Brandon Springs, Mississippi), adopted as part of its bylaws that the president and professors “shall conduct and govern the college, and administer discipline according to such rules as shall be adopted from time to time by the trustees” (Centenary College Board of Trustees meeting minutes, July 26, 1843). The president was also responsible for submitting an annual report to the board of trustees. Presidents of Centenary College were: Thomas C. Thornton (1841-1844) and William Winans (pro tem 1844).

In 1845, Centenary College of Louisiana (Jackson, Louisiana) formed when Centenary College (Brandon Springs, Mississippi) acquired the property and relocated to the defunct College of Louisiana (Jackson, Louisiana).  The role of president remained largely the same as previous years, though it appears presidents took a more active role in recruiting students and fundraising throughout the 19th century.  Presidents of Centenary College of Louisiana (Jackson, Louisiana) were: David O. Shattuck (1844-1848), Augustus Baldwin Longstreet (1848-1849), Richard H. Rivers (1849-1853), John C. Miller (pro tem 1854), Benjamin M. Drake (pro tem 1854), John C. Miller (1855-1866), William H. Watkins (1866-1871), Charles G. Andrews (1871-1882), David M. Rush (1882-1885), Thomas Albert Smith Adams (1885-1888), George H. Wiley (pro tem 1888), William Littleton Clark Hunnicutt (1888-1894), Charles W. Carter (1894-1898), Inman J. Cooper (1898-1902), Henry B. Carré (1902-1903), and Charles C. Miller (1903-1906).

Many of Centenary’s presidents have been ordained clergy in the United Methodist Church and its predecessor denominations.  Centenary College (Brandon Springs, Mississippi) was founded by the Mississippi Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.  Centenary College of Louisiana (Jackson, Louisiana) was administered by both the Mississippi and Louisiana Conferences.






Page Generated in: 0.12 seconds (using 113 queries).
Using 5.64MB of memory. (Peak of 5.7MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-1
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign