Log In | Contact Us| View Cart (0)
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Business Girls' Inn (1928-1974) | Centenary College of Louisiana | Archives and Special Collections

Name: Business Girls' Inn (1928-1974)


Historical Note: In 1928 the Methodist Women of Shreveport organized to provide a residence for business girls. The home, first known as the Jubilee Inn opened on September 20, 1928 in a leased building at 412 Fannin Street. Under the Administration of the City Mission Board of Shreveport, Louisiana, of the Women’s Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, the inn prospered, the building was purchased in 1938 and the last note was paid. In 1946 the board purchased a site at 814 Cotton Street for a new home and after a successful fund raising drive the board was able to open a new residence, known as the Business Girls’ Inn, in 1949. The site of the old home was sold for the bus terminal. The Business Girls’ Inn continued through the 1960’s but in 1971 a change of name to the Inn signified the changing times. Fewer working women desired the services the Inn provided and a complete phase out began in 1972. In 1974 the property was sold to the Presbyterian Church to be used as an extension of their Evergreen Vocational School.





Page Generated in: 0.094 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 5.62MB of memory. (Peak of 5.69MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-1
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign