Log In | Contact Us| View Cart (0)
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Waterproof United Methodist Church (1849-2002) | Centenary College of Louisiana | Archives and Special Collections

Name: Waterproof United Methodist Church (1849-2002)


Historical Note: Waterproof United Methodist Church (Waterproof, Louisiana) traces its history to the formation of the Waterproof Circuit established in 1849 by the Louisiana Annual Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.  During the Civil War, the church and its records were destroyed.  Efforts to rebuild the church during the 1870s proved difficult.  During this decade, the church moved multiple times because of the nearby changes in the banks of the Mississippi River.  Throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the church was often combined on a circuit with other nearby congregations.  Other churches on the circuit included: Wesley Chapel, Elizabeth Chapel, Tensas Chapel, Cash Bayou, St. Joseph, Jordan Chapel, Ogden, Newellton, and L’Argent.  Waterproof United Methodist Church closed in 2002.





Page Generated in: 0.092 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 5.63MB of memory. (Peak of 5.7MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-1
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign