Log In | Contact Us| View Cart (0)
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Felicity United Methodist Church (New Orleans, La.) | Centenary College of Louisiana | Archives and Special Collections

Name: Felicity United Methodist Church (New Orleans, La.)


Historical Note:

Felicity United Methodist Church (New Orleans, La.) traces its history to the merger of multiple predecessor congregations in 1848.  At that time, the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church South united the following charges: Lafayette Charge (Saint Mary Street Church built circa 1830 at the corner of Saint Mary and Fulton Streets), Andrew Chapel Charge (Andrew Chapel founded 1835 at the corner of Dryades and Felicity Streets), and Elijah Steele Chapel Charge (also known as the “Flatboat Church” founded early 1840s on Magazine Street between Robin and Race Streets).

In 1849, this unified group built a chapel at the rear of their property located at the intersection of Felicity and Chestnut Streets.  After purchasing adjoining lots, the congregation built a new brick church building in 1850.  Early records appear to interchangeably identify the congregation using two names -- Elijah Steele Church as well as Felicity Church.

In 1887, a fire destroyed much of the church; it was rebuilt in 1888.  In 1906, members from the Dryades Street Methodist Episcopal Church (formerly the First German Mission) merged with Felicity.  Felicity was damaged by hurricanes in October 1915, September 1965, and August 2005.  In 2007, Felicity United Methodist Church was discontinued and abandoned.






Page Generated in: 0.095 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 5.63MB of memory. (Peak of 5.7MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-1
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign