Log In | Contact Us| View Cart (0)
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Evangeline United Methodist Church (Baton Rouge, La.) | Centenary College of Louisiana | Archives and Special Collections

Name: Evangeline United Methodist Church (Baton Rouge, La.)


Historical Note:

Evangeline United Methodist Church (Baton Rouge, La.) began in 1990 with the merger of three discontinued congregations in Baton Rouge: Istrouma United Methodist Church, North Baton Rouge United Methodist Church, and Winbourne United Methodist Church.  Evangeline UMC was located at 4260 Evangeline Street, the former site of North Baton Rouge UMC.  Evangeline UMC closed in 2001. In 2002, Hope Community United Methodist Church began using the facility originally occupied by Evangeline UMC.

Istrouma UMC traces its history to 1917.  The congregation’s first church building was located in the 2900 block of Scenic Highway.  Later, the church relocated to 3175 Scenic Highway.  In 1990, the church was discontinued.

North Baton Rouge UMC formed in 1942 and began meeting at the North Highlands School.  In 1944, the congregation converted a home into a church building at the corner of Evangeline and Wildwood Streets.  In the late 1940s, the church moved nearby to 4260 Evangeline Street.  In 1990, the church was discontinued.

Winbourne UMC began in 1946.  Members initially met in a tent, then a mobile home.  In the late 1940s, the congregation transferred a small chapel from Walker, Louisiana, to serve as their first church building.  In the 1950s, a new sanctuary was constructed at 4643 Winbourne Avenue.  In 1990, the church was discontinued.






Page Generated in: 0.103 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 5.63MB of memory. (Peak of 5.7MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-1
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign