Log In | Contact Us| View Cart (0)
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

New Creation United Methodist Church (Shreveport, La.) | Centenary College of Louisiana | Archives and Special Collections

Name: New Creation United Methodist Church (Shreveport, La.)


Historical Note:

New Creation United Methodist Church (Shreveport, La.) began in 2002 with the merger of two Shreveport congregations: Johnson Chapel United Methodist Church and Mount Zion United Methodist Church. New Creation UMC was located at 1220 Vaughn Street. New Creation UMC was abandoned in 2005.

Johnson Chapel UMC traces its history to the early 1900s (different sources indicate: 1902, 1907, and 1908). One of the congregation’s early locations was an abandoned store on Stoner Avenue. In 1910, the congregation relocated to 1220 Vaughn Street.

Mount Zion UMC formed in the mid-1860s in Bossier Parish. The congregation was originally known as Bridge Methodist Episcopal Church. Early locations included the “old Brownie Plantation” (Brownlee?), Kingston Plantation, and property in the Vanceville community. In 1889, the church was renamed Mount Zion Methodist Episcopal Church. The church building was renovated and/or reconstructed in 1936 and 1954. In 1989, the congregation moved to 3816 Virginia Avenue, Shreveport, Louisiana.






Page Generated in: 0.091 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 5.63MB of memory. (Peak of 5.69MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-1
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign