Log In | Contact Us| View Cart (0)
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Dryades Street Methodist Episcopal Church South (New Orleans, La.) | Centenary College of Louisiana | Archives and Special Collections

Name: Dryades Street Methodist Episcopal Church South (New Orleans, La.)


Historical Note: Dryades Street Methodist Episcopal Church South (New Orleans, La.) traces its history to the 1842 founding of First German Methodist Episcopal Church (New Orleans, La.) on Erato Street (originally named Melicerte Street).  The congregation moved to Dryades Street in 1852, and they constructed a new, brick building in 1858.  In 1874, the congregation left the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church South and joined the newly formed German Mission Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.  In 1885, they returned to the Louisiana Conference.  According to the May 6, 1886, issue of the New Orleans Christian Advocate, the congregation requested that services be conducted in English as well as German.  In 1906, the Dryades Street church was sold and the members merged with Felicity Methodist Episcopal Church South (New Orleans, La.).





Page Generated in: 0.095 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 5.63MB of memory. (Peak of 5.69MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-1
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign