Log In | Contact Us| View Cart (0)
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Poydras Street Methodist Episcopal Church South (New Orleans, La.) | Centenary College of Louisiana | Archives and Special Collections

Name: Poydras Street Methodist Episcopal Church South (New Orleans, La.)


Historical Note:

Poydras Street Methodist Episcopal Church South (New Orleans, La.) traces its history to a congregation that began meeting in 1825.  In 1837, they built a church at the corner of Poydras and Carondelet streets.  In January 1851, a fire destroyed the church.

In 1853, the congregation dedicated a new church constructed nearby at 619 Carondelet Street and was renamed the Carondelet Street Methodist Episcopal Church South (New Orleans, La.).  In 1905, the building was sold to the Grand Consistory of Louisiana and became the Scottish Rite Cathedral of New Orleans.  The congregation constructed a new building at 1108 St. Charles Avenue and was renamed the First Methodist Episcopal Church South (New Orleans, La.).  In 1956, this building was demolished and the congregation merged with the Canal Street Methodist Church (New Orleans, La.).  In 1960, the merged congregation, First Methodist Church (New Orleans, La.), dedicated a new church building at 3401 Canal Street.  In 2007, the congregation merged with Grace United Methodist Church (New Orleans, La.) and was renamed First Grace United Methodist Church (New Orleans, La.).






Page Generated in: 0.093 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 5.63MB of memory. (Peak of 5.69MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-1
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign